Friday, December 4, 2015

DNA Extraction Lab

In this lab we separated DNA from cheek cells in order to study it. I found the homogenization, lysis, and precipitation results in seeing my DNA.  First I swished the Gatorade in my mouth the Gatorade was the polar liquid. This was the homogenization stage. Next was the lysis stage. In this phase, I put soap and salt in order to emulsify the lipids and proteins of the cell. We further broke it down to the histones. Before the precipitation stage, we added the catabolic proteases which were pineapple juice breaks protein called histone. In the last stage, we added alcohol. The alcohol is nonpolar and polar is the mixture was on the bottom. I could see my DNA where the two mixtures came together.

My hypothesis was supports because in the nonpolar liquid we could see the DNA isolated because the DNA molecule was polar. While our hypothesis was supported by our data there could have been errors due to the group  doing the steps out of order. We could have added too much soap. We could have added too much pineapple juice.



No comments:

Post a Comment