Sunday, January 24, 2016

Unit 6 Reflection

This unit is about different types of Biotechnology. We learned about Biotechnology, the study and manipulation of living things, specifically the understanding of DNA, proteins, and inheritance. We also learned about the four applications of Biotechnology. 

I felt like I learned gained a strong understanding about exactly what Biotechnology is and it is applied. I struggled in the lesson about Recombinant DNA because of the different types of technology and I had issues understanding the different sequences because there are so many letters for me to try to process.

The labs that we did include:


In this lab, we learned about Recombinant DNA and about antibiotic resistance in relation to recombinant plasmids. In addition, we learned about enzymes and their relations to plasmids and cell DNA.

In this lab, we learned about the conductivity of artificial and natural dyes. Also, we learned about each dyes' charge. The color yellow was moving closer to the negative cathode because it was more positively charged than the other colors.

In this lab, we learned that when the pGLO was positively charged and has ampicillin added to it, the most colonies appeared. When arabinose was added, fewer colonies appeared. Under the UV light, the colonies were purplish white or greenish white.

I want to learn more about other chemicals that would increase the number of colonies. I wonder why the charge of the plate affects a number of colonies on the plate. 

For the next step in my New Years Goal, I will research the different types of Tesla motors and electric powered engines. I will create a model engine, and label the different parts of the engine. On a separate piece of paper, I will explain the different functions of each part. To become an eagle scout, I will be a good listener, work hard and be a good team player. 



No comments:

Post a Comment